Thursday, May 23, 2013

Day 3: Happy Valley


Thunderstorms last night and this morning brought much needed relief from the heat and humidity of the last couple days.  The light rain generally made for good riding weather, but I had to pull over and seek shelter (and a nap) in a covered picnic area to wait out some heavier squalls.


Once the morning rain cleared, the second part of my ride offered up picturesque rolling hills with farms and small towns situated between forested ridgelines.  While the views were excellent, the strong scent emanating from the surrounding pastures took some getting used to for a city dweller - something I will have to get ready for as I move west.

Happy Valley also features another characteristically Pennsylvanian sight – horse and carriages used by the Amish families living in the area. I took a picture of a signage indicating the presence of horse buggies on the road; I thought it might be a bit rude and conspicuous to stop and take a picture of passing carriage.


The two major towns on my route – Lewisburg and State College – were far more vibrant than the communities I passed yesterday in coal country.  Anchored by universities – Bucknell and Penn State, respectively – both towns enjoy plenty of the small restaurants, cafés and interesting shops that characterize the typical college town.  Both places could stand for more lingering and exploring than my schedule permitted.


Starting Point - Sunbury, PA
Ending Point - State College, PA
Distance - 66.6 miles
Cumulative Distance - 285.7 miles
Vertical Elevation - 3882 feet
Counties - Northumberland, Snyder, Union, Centre, PA
Wind - variable cross/headwind

No comments:

Post a Comment