Monday, May 27, 2013

Day 6: Into Ohio


With fresher legs, I hit the road again today heading northwest out of Pittsburgh and into Ohio. Cool weather prevailed again today with some light rainfall in the afternoon - not enough to cause a bother. Relief is in sight from the hilly terrain of Appalachia. By the end of my ride today, high ridges became rolling hills and within a day or two, any elevation will fade away altogether.



The first part of my route today took me northwest along the Ohio River past shabby towns and across worn down industrial parks and rail lines. Despite appearances, several large manufacturing and industrial companies appear to be operating successfully. In Coraopolis, PA, at the end of rundown main street, I passed by the headquarters of America's preeminent civil engineering company: American Bridge. The privately held firm formed in 1900 built the Sears Tower and the Empire State Building and constructed numerous spans, including the Verrazano-Narrows and the Oakland Bay Bridge. This history contrasted sharply with the sorry state of its hometown. While still active, like most engineering companies, the biggest opportunities for American Bridge are now overseas.


At my lunch stop in a McDonald's in East Palestine, OH, I joined a group of older gentlemen taking their lunch after the Memorial Day parade. Curious about where I was headed, they inquired about my route and provisions. Retired bus drivers and factory workers, most of them had spent their life in the vicinity of East Palestine. They noted that most young people now leave the area to find any good work, the town graying in the process. It is a sight that I also saw in Pennsylvania coal country. I asked one of them how he spends his retirement in a small town. He readily confessed that it gets boring, but lawn mowing, gardening, and the other chores along with an occasional vacation helped occupy his time. They wished me luck as I pushed on westward.

Straddling the Pennsylvania-Ohio border

Starting Point - Pittsburgh, PA
Ending Point - Canton, OH
Distance - 97.8 miles
Cumulative Distance - 534.2 miles
Vertical Elevation - 4841 feet
Counties - Allegheny, Beaver, PA; Columbiana, Stark, OH
Wind - slight cross

No comments:

Post a Comment