Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Day 32: Last of the Mountain Passes

After the better part of two weeks, I am out of Montana and into Idaho. Today, I crossed the last mountain pass of my transcontinental journey and entered the hundred mile wide Nez-Perce Clearwater National Forest. Higher elevations, an early start, and a cool breeze out of the mountains kept conditions nice during the morning ride. I could have easily cycled longer, but the next place to stay is some 80 miles further west.



From Missoula, I turned southwest into the Bitterroot Mountains climbing from 3000 feet to about 5200 feet at Lolo Pass. The route, a quiet and scenic trip through dense evergreen forests and steep mountain sides, climbs fairly gently until kicking up in the last couple miles. In these forested slopes, the Lewis and Clark expedition nearly came to their demise, struggling against starvation and exposure amid an early snowfall in September 1805. Snow was still visible at the top of Lolo Peak at an elevation of 9000 feet. I hoped to see a black bear, but the only animals I spotted were deer (and giant flies).

Snow at the top of Lolo Peak in the Bitterroot Range

During my day off yesterday in Missoula, I stopped by the headquarters of the Adventure Cycling Association, got my picture taken, met a steady stream of cross-country cyclists stopping in, and shared thoughts about routes for those traveling east and thinking about crossing the Dakotas. Missoula proved a pleasant culinary experience with great coffee houses and eclectic eateries. Less touristy and ritzy than Bozeman, Missoula is like Berkeley in the mountains. My dad joined me in Missoula and is accompanying me for the next couple days through Independence Day. We enjoyed a great meal at the Silk Road - definitely recommend for anyone passing through.

Pine beetle kill in the Clearwater National Forest

Starting Point - Missoula, MT
Ending Point - Lochsa Lodge, ID
Distance - 54.7 miles
Cumulative Distance - 2666.1 miles
Vertical Elevation - 3311 feet
Counties - Missoula, MT; Idaho, ID
Wind - light crosswind

No comments:

Post a Comment