Sunday, June 30, 2013

Day 31: Down the Blackfoot


One of the best parts of crossing the continental divide is getting to ride downhill the next day. Following the Blackfoot River, I winded my way through the mountains for 80 miles to my last stop in the Treasure State on the last day in June.

On the road to Missoula, MT

Riding a state highway through the mountains, the solitude and cool temperatures of an early morning start gave way to a more taxing conditions in early afternoon as temperatures rose and traffic turned heavy. The current heat wave gripping the West is breaking records here as well with heat advisories posted for today and tomorrow. I occasionally thought about jumping into the Blackfoot River to cool off. A shallow mountain stream, its clear waters looked inviting, though the current might have been a bit swift. I observed many families enjoying whitewater rafting on the river as I approached Missoula.

Clear waters of the Blackfoot River
As the headquarters of the Adventure Cycling Association, Missoula is no stranger to long-distance cyclists. On my off day tomorrow, I will add my name to the ACA log of cross-country cyclists. At a gas station, I met three other cyclists on their way to Missoula. The cyclists, carrying considerably more gear than me and looking a bit haggard, had spent the previous two weeks making their way from Jasper, Canada south along the continental divide. Two of the cyclists had also traveled cross country a couple years back along the TransAmerica Trail, and we exchanged stories from the road: the people, the routes, the wind. They congratulated me on making good time from New York and shared some advice about the homestretch to the Pacific.

Dusk or dawn outside Lincoln, MT?

For those of you who find yourself somewhere between Missoula and Great Falls on MT Hwy 200, the colorfully named Stray Bullet Cafe in Ovando, MT offers a nice stop for breakfast or lunch. Also, hop into the family-owned Lost Woodsman Restaurant in Lincoln, MT for an excellent coffee or quick snack.

Starting Point - Lincoln, MT
Ending Point - Missoula, MT
Distance - 79.6 miles
Cumulative Distance - 2611.4 miles
Vertical Elevation - 2714 feet
Counties - Lewis and Clark, Powell, Missoula, MT
Wind - light headwind

No comments:

Post a Comment